Do you ever take your crochet or knitting projects on the go with you? Perhaps you get together with other crafters for charity crochet / charity knitting sessions, or you attend Stitch ‘N’ Bitch groups or another similar sort of meet-up. Or maybe you just like to have your latest project handy so you can keep your hands busy when you’re early to a meeting, watching a game, hanging out with friends or out and about.
If you ever have a need to take some yarn with you when you head out the door, the Yarn Drum by ArtBin is a product you’ll want to know about.
The Yarn Drum is a cylinder-shaped yarn and project container that zips open and closed by means of a double zipper. It has reinforced openings in the top that are suitable for feeding yarn through. This allows you to zip the yarn inside the drum while you’re crocheting or knitting. You can set the Drum on the floor or on your seat beside you, and you won’t have to worry about the yarn rolling around all over the place.
The Yarn Drum is a useful project bag even if you keep your crafting at home. It can help you keep your supplies and works-in-progress neatly organized. It could make a fantastic addition to your existing yarn organization system (if you have one), or you could use one or more of these yarn drums to create a new yarn organization system from scratch if you don’t already have a good system in place for storing and organizing your yarn.
The Drum also helps to hide your yarn from any nearby kittens or toddlers. It makes a good deterrent and can help to deflect attention away from the yarn, minimizing the numbers of attacks your yarn will suffer. (Anyone who has dealt with kittens or toddlers likely understands that yarn attacks cannot be completely eliminated, but this does help substantially.) It’s also a good way to protect your yarn from cat hair, dog hair, etc.
The openings in the top of the Yarn Drum accommodate super long knitting needles or Tunisian crochet hooks if you want to store those inside it along with your yarns and/or works-in-progress.
One of the Yarn Drum’s best features is an open mesh pouch on the outside. You can use this for storing your sundries like crochet hooks, cable needles, stitch markers, tape measure, pens, pencils and other tools.
Dimensions of the ArtBin Yarn Drum
The Yarn Drum stands 12 inches tall. Measuring across the top, I came up with an approximate diameter of about 10 1/4 inches. Measuring around the top of the bag, I came up with an approximate circumference of about 33 1/4 inches.
Best Uses for This Craft Organizer
The ArtBin Yarn Drum can do double duty as a crochet project bag / knitting project bag and yarn organizer.
As far as project bags go, this one is best-suited to holding substantial but not gigantic projects. For example, it could hold all the yarn you need to make most baby blankets, but it’s not going to hold all the yarn you need to make a large afghan for the master bedroom.
If you enjoy loom knitting, the Yarn Drum could be a good carrying case for some of the smaller looms that are available, along with your loom picks, yarn and the other supplies you’d want to use for loom knitting. This project bag is not big enough to easily hold my largest knitting looms, but it is satisfactory for holding and organizing my smaller looms.
Things I Like Best About This Craft Organizer
- The Yarn Drum is specifically intended for use by crochet enthusiasts and knitters, and it’s designed with our needs in mind.
- The Yarn Drum collapses into a compact little shape that barely takes up any space when it isn’t in use.
- The Yarn Drum has both a handle and a long strap. The strap clips onto Drum in two different ways if you want to take it somewhere, and you can remove the strap if you want to when you aren’t transporting it anywhere.
- The strap is sturdy and adjustable. You can lengthen it or make it shorter as needed.
- You can clip both ends of the strap to anchor points on the top of the bag if you prefer to carry it upright. Or you can clip one side of the strap to the top of the Drum and the other to the side at the bottom if you want it to hang sort of like a short duffel bag.
This Craft Organizer Is Unsuitable for…
- holding nothing more than a one-skein project; it’s too big a bag to bother with if you only want to carry along a skein of yarn — unless you plan to fill the bag with a few other essentials. The Yarn Drum is prone to collapsing if the bottom of it isn’t filled. If you want to carry a one-skein project along with you, try the Mini Yarn Drum instead.
- holding the largest knitting looms that are available. I tried putting in a round loom measuring 12 1/4 inches in diameter to see if the Drum could hold it. It does fit, but it fits awkwardly, with a bulge in the sides of the Yarn Drum. I wouldn’t recommend it for holding a loom of this size, and think it is wise to find a different storage solution for any looms that large.
Would I Buy More of These Organizers?
I often have multiple major crochet and knitting projects in progress, and it can be a challenge to keep track of them if I don’t make a careful effort to do so. Having several ArtBin Yarn Drums on hand would help me simplify this process. If you often work on several sizeable projects like shawls, sweaters, granny square blankets or baby blankets, you’ll be likely to benefit from owning multiple Yarn Drums.
Each Yarn Drum could hold one project while it’s in progress, the accompanying yarn for completing it, the knitting needles or crochet hooks you’re using, and the pattern (assuming the pattern is in a typical paperback book or magazine and not an oversized hardcover book).
Would I Recommend These Organizers to Friends?
If you craft with expensive yarns and you have kittens, cats or small children who are prone to ruining your projects, the Yarn Drum is a wise investment that could pay for itself easily. Even if you don’t, this handy container would be a convenient addition to your craft supplies stash, and it’s well worth its asking price.
Where to Buy the Yarn Drum Knitting and Crochet Organizer
There are many online retailers and brick and mortar stores that stock the ArtBin Yarn Drum. Here are links to a few of our favorite places you can buy these outstanding yarn organizers:
- Click here to shop for the Yarn Drum at A Cherry on top Crafts. This website has bunches of fantastic ArtBin products available, including the larger Yarn Drum and other fantastic Artbin organizers.
- Click here to shop for the Artbin Yarn Drum at Amazon.
- Click or tap here to shop for the Mini Yarn Drum at Amazon.
More Useful ArtBin Craft Organizers You’ll Want to Know About:
- ArtBin Hook & Needle Nook, Item#: 6930AB — This hard plastic storage case is perfect for organizing traditional crochet hooks and steel crochet hooks plus some of your shorter Tunisan crochet hooks and sets of knitting needles.
- ArtBin Hook & Needle Folio, Item#: 8414SA (not pictured) — This is a large zippered case for keeping knitting needles, crochet hooks and other needlework supplies neatly organized, whether you’re crafting at home or on the go.
- ArtBin Solutions Storage Cabinet, Item#: 6994AB — If you do bead crochet, bead knitting, wire crochet or wire knitting, this is an outstanding organizer for keeping track of your beads, findings, tools, and wire. It also works well for organizing embroidery floss and other sorts of craft supplies
- ArtBin Solutions Long Open Core, Item#: 3901AB — This is a compact and versatile multi-purpose craft supplies organizer.
- ArtBin Super Satchel 1-Compartment, Item#: 6955AB — This is a fantastic multi-purpose craft organizer that’ll help you organize just about any type of art or craft supply you might need to find a place for.
- ArtBin Thread Storage Tray, Item#: 6820AG — Organize your sewing thread intuitively in this heavy-duty thread storage tray. You can wall mount this piece if you don’t have a handy table, counter or shelf to put it on, or you can tuck it inside a craft organizer if that would better suit your needs.
- ArtBin Mini Sidekick, Item#: 6815AG — This versatile hard plastic caddy is ideal for storing a variety of different craft supplies.
Knitting and Crochet:
- Knitting Supplies
- Knitting Books
- Knitting Techniques
- How to Crochet
- Crochet Techniques
- Crochet Tutorials
- Crochet Granny Squares
- Crochet Books
- Best Crochet Stitch Dictionaries
- Best Crochet Books for Beginners
More Crafts, Hobbies, DIY Projects and Supplies:
- Craft Supplies
- Sewing Appliques
- Button Crafts
- Home Decor Crafts and DIY Project Ideas
- Holiday Crafts
- Christmas Crafts
- Paper Crafts
Posted By: Amy Solovay
This page was last updated on 7-22-2023.