How to Do the Long Single Crochet Stitch, Also Known as Spike Stitch: Free Instructions
Instead of working your single crochet stitch into the top of the next stitch as you usually would, insert your hook into the designated stitch or space in the row or round BELOW the next stitch. The resulting stitch will be noticeably longer than an ordinary single crochet stitch, which is why we call it the “long single crochet stitch”.
In the photo above, all the tan stitches you see are ordinary, standard single crochet stitches. The shorter stitches worked in green yarn are also standard single crochet stitches; the longer green stitches are long single crochet stitches. I’m working in a pattern of 3 standard single crochets followed by a long single crochet stitch; repeating this pattern makes a lovely, fuss-free edging pattern. However, there are many other ways you can use long single crochet stitches; they aren’t just used for working edgings.
Patterns for Practicing Your Long Single Crochet Stitch:
You can crochet this winter snowflake applique using long single crochet stitches in combination with other stitches. If you aren’t sure what to do with the applique, you can use it to decorate this snowflake potholder — but don’t worry if that isn’t what you want to make. You have many other possible choices for ways to use it.
- Crochet Shell Stitch
- Crochet Afghan Stitch
- Puff Stitch
- 50 Stitches for Afghans: Shells Clusters Puffs Lace and More
- Triple Play Pattern Stitches: A Crochet Stitch Dictionary
- 500+ Crochet Stitches With CD Bundle Including Paperback Book
- 200 of Melissa Leapman’s Favorite Crochet Stitches
- Find our picks for the best crochet stitch dictionaries HERE.
More Craft Resources You Need to Know About:
- Home Decor Crafts and DIY Project Ideas
- Holiday Crafts
- Christmas Crafts
- Best Christmas Craft Books for the 2021 Holiday Season
- Learn How to Do Wire Crochet With Beads
- Craft Supplies
- Knitting Supplies
- Lace Knitting
- Cable Knitting
- Knitting Techniques
- Knitting Yarn
- Jewelry Making
- Best Tools for Jewelry Making
- Sewing Appliques
- Button Crafts
- Kitchen Crafts
Posted By: Amy Solovay
This page was last updated on 9-2-2021.