Want to find bunches of different crochet stitches to use in your craft projects? If so, check out our list of best crochet stitch dictionaries. We highly recommend all the books on this list; they’re fantastic resources.
This stitch collection offers you an INSANE amount of value for its asking price. What you have here is a collection of 7 different crochet stitch dictionaries in PDF e-book format and saved on CD-rom, PLUS a brief beginner’s guide to crochet in paperback format. Some of the stitch dictionaries include sampler afghan patterns, and the paperback book also includes 2 afghan patterns. So for the money you spend, you actually get a whole bunch of stitch instructions, plus some really lovely blanket patterns, PLUS the beginner’s guide to crochet.
The PDF e-books have various authors, including some of the rock stars of crochet — like Darla Sims (who is one of my all-time favorite crochet book authors) and the late Jean Leinhauser, who in my opinion was one of the Great Matriarchs of crochet book publishing.
You’d have a hard time finding a better deal on a crochet stitch dictionary anywhere. In general, crochet stitch dictionaries typically cost between $8 – $30 each, unless you buy them used (and even then, they can cost a small fortune). In contrast, the asking price for this entire bundle is at the low end of what you’d usually have to pay for just one book. Folks, this is really a steal.
What’s the catch?
As far as I can tell, there isn’t one. But, my understanding is that these particular e-books were chosen for the collection because they were all top selling, highly popular books. So, if you’ve been an Annie’s customer for awhile, it is possible that you might already own one or more of these books. That’s the only real caveat I can think of that you’d have to watch out for with this bundle. But, even if you do own some of these books already, this is a deal you still might want to consider — especially if you’d be interested in conserving space. I have readers who are in the process of downsizing their collections — and, if that’s you, you’re sure to appreciate having ONE little CD-rom instead of 7 full-sized stitch dictionaries.
I can hardly believe the publisher is making this offer available. If you need a new stitch dictionary, you should definitely consider jumping on this bundle before they come to their senses and raise the price on it.
Get More Info:
- Click here to check out my detailed review of this bundle.
- Click here to shop for this bundle at the publisher’s website.
Why this book is posted at the top of our list of best crochet stitch dictionaries:
- This book includes crochet stitches ranging from the simplest possible basic crochet stitches on up through complex stitch patterns requiring more than 20 rows worth of instructions. Whether you’re a beginner or an expert, you’ll find stitches to interest and challenge you.
- This book gives you the fast-track to understanding which crochet stitches are the most useful, desirable and wearable ones to work with. Respected needlework patten designer Melissa Leapman has put her nearly 30 years worth of industry experience to work, personally selecting every single crochet stitch pattern you’ll find in this book. She’s included her favorite, go-to stitches in this book — the ones she finds indispensable for her crochet design work.
- International symbol crochet charts help you visualize each stitch pattern included in this book. You also get a large, detailed color photograph of each stitch plus clear written text instructions.
- You’ll have a chance to learn how to crochet a diverse grouping of stitch patterns, including some which are Melissa Leapman’s original designs. You’ll find post stitches, cables, braids, textured stitches, v stitches, shells, lace stitches, colorwork patterns, edgings and more.
Crochet Stitch Dictionary is a helpful reference that teaches you how to crochet 200 different stitches. It covers the basic crochet stitches plus bunches of others including spike stitches, shell stitches, puff stitches, bobbles, chevrons, mesh stitches, bead crochet stitches and more.
The book includes a fantastic introduction to crochet, which makes it an ideal instructional book for beginners. Experienced crocheters will also find plenty of reasons to want this book; it offers insights and instructions any crochet enthusiast would find useful.
Learn More About This Book:
- Check out our book review of Crochet Stitch Dictionary.
- Shop for Crochet Stitch Dictionary at Amazon.com.
You could use the 50 lovely stitches in this book to make virtually any type of crochet project — but the one thing they all have in common is that they’d make excellent blankets and afghans, if that’s what you want to use them for. So far, I’ve also successfully used them to make fingerless gloves, but an afghan is next on my list of projects I’d like to make.
Triple Play Pattern Stitches is one of my favorite crochet books. I adore the pretty, colorful crochet stitch combinations found in this book.
Learn More About This Book:
- Check out my book review of Triple Play Pattern Stitches.
- Click here to check availability of this book at Amazon.
If you’re interested in crocheting stitches that have lots of eye-catching texture, 99 Crochet Post Stitches is a book worth owning. It includes shell stitches, lace stitches, cable stitches and colorwork stitches that all include front and / or back post stitches as part of the design.
Learn More About This Book:
- Check out our book review of 99 Crochet Post Stitches.
- Click or tap here to shop for this book at Amazon.
So there you have it: Those are our picks for the best crochet stitch dictionaries. If you’re interested in designing your own crochet projects, those books offer you a variety of excellent crochet stitch patterns to choose from.
Related Resources: Knitting Stitch Dictionaries
- The Alterknit Stitch Dictionary — Want to try colorwork knitting for the first time, or advance your colorwork knitting skills? Stranded colorwork knitting is the focus of this book. It’s a beginner’s guide PLUS a stitch dictionary PLUS a pattern book — giving you all the info you need to succeed with color knitting.
- Dimensional Tuck Knitting — This is another combination knitting pattern book / technique book and stitch dictionary. The projects in this book are amazing.
- The Japanese Knitting Stitch Bible — This book includes advanced level knitting patterns for striking lace knitting patterns, cable knits and textured knitting patterns. You’ll also find patterns that combine crocheted bobbles with intricate lace and cable knitting for fascinating hybrid textiles. This book is an amazing value for the money — if you knit, you’ll definitely want to check it out.
- The Big 3 Knitting Techniques — This is both a pattern book and a stitch dictionary. The book allows you to explore stitch patterns in 3 different knitting techniques: stranded color knitting, slip stitch knitting and surface texture knitting (relief stitches). In addition to the stitch patterns, you get wonderful patterns for a hat, mittens, two vests and a cardigan, all of which can be customized using the stitch patterns you’ll find in the book. This wonderful reference is sure to get your creativity flowing!
So there you have it: Those are our top picks for the best crochet stitch dictionaries of 2023. We hope these suggestions are helpful to you, and that you found some wonderful books to add to your library.
- Click here to find the best books on crochet flowers
- Click here to find the best crochet books for beginners
- Click here to find the best crochet baby pattern books
- Click Here to Learn How to Crochet; This Link Takes You to a Total Beginner’s Guide to Crochet.
- Click here to find crochet stitch tutorials and instructions.
- Click here to learn more crochet techniques.
- Click HERE to Find Fabulous Yarn for Crochet and Knitting
- Click here to learn about crochet hooks.
- Click here to find my favorite crochet project bag.
- Click here to get updated on the latest craft supplies.
- Click here to learn about knitting.
- Click here to find our beginner’s guide to knitting needles.
- Click here to find outstanding craft project ideas.
Posted By: Amy Solovay
Page last updated on 6-22-2023. Thanks for visiting!