Embellish Your Crocheted Flowers With Buttons, Ribbon, Pinbacks, and Other Craft Supplies
Are your crocheted flowers looking a little plain? Embellish them! Find free ideas for embellishing crocheted flowers using buttons, ribbon, pinbacks, scrapbooking supplies, and other items.
Button Centers for Flowers
Many flowers have interesting centers that seem to “pop” out from the flower itself — so it’s a no-brainer to use buttons that mimic the look of these centers of your crocheted flowers. This is a particularly lovely idea if you have a stash of oddball buttons that don’t go with anything and don’t have mates.
- I used a fancy flower-shaped button as the center on the easy layered crochet rose pictured above.
Pinback Centers for Crocheted Flowers
Pins and pinbacks make intriguing embellishments for crocheted flowers. They come in a wide variety of themes and colors, so you’ll never be at a loss for interesting designs to use.
As far as embellishments go, it doesn’t get much easier than pinbacks. You don’t have to figure out how to adhere them to the flower, and no sewing is required. You can just stick the pin to the flower; it’s as simple as that.
The picture above shows you a variety of different crocheted flowers that have all been embellished with pinbacks in the centers.
Embellishing Flowers With Ribbon
It’s so easy to tie a ribbon bow and then stitch it onto your crocheted flowers. If you have a flower that looks a little bare, it’s a good candidate for this idea.
Embellishing Crocheted Flowers With Scrapbooking Supplies
There might be times when you’d like to indulge in a little mixed media. It’s fun to combine scrapbooking supplies with crochet. I often use my crocheted flowers (and other crochet motifs) in my scrapbook albums; they make delightful accents on mini album covers and in various other paper craft projects.
- See the free crochet tutorial for working the abstract crochet flower motif; I’ve also included some pics of different embellishments for that flower, including where I used scrapbooking brads and supplies to embellish it.
- Check out a crocheted flower necklace embellished with scrapbooking supplies
Note: Scrapbooking supplies aren’t generally washable, so if that’s an important consideration for you, use caution.
Related Resources: Free Crochet Flower Patterns
- Free Crochet Flower Applique Pattern
- Small Easy Popcorn Flower — Free Crochet Pattern
- Crochet Flower Applique — Free Pattern
Posted By: Amy Solovay
This page was last updated on 1-19-2022.