Have you ever wondered how to organize circular knitting needles? Do you ever lose track of your stitch markers, crochet hooks or other needlework tools? Are you in need of a good storage system for keeping your hooks and knitting needles organized? If so, there are a couple of ArtBin organizers you might like to know about. One of them is called the ArtBin Solutions XL (Item #3901AB).
It’s an affordable hard plastic case that’s larger than most pencil boxes, and it can hold all kinds of different art and craft supplies — including your needlework tools and more.
For knitters and crocheters, it’s a no-brainer to use this handy storage box for holding hooks and needles. Artists can use it for holding paintbrushes, markers and pencils; it’s also useful for storing just about any other sort of small craft supplies, from polymer clay to embroidery floss.
Design and Dimensions of the Organizer
The ArtBin Solutions XL measures a bit less than 12 1/2 inches by 4 1/2 inches by 1 3/4 inch. It has a couple of shallow ridges that run lengthwise across the bottom. These ridges discourage small items from rolling around inside the box. However, the ridges don’t prohibit you from storing wider items or things like circular knitting needles in the organizer. That’s the main point of differentiation between this case and a similar product made by the same manufacturer, the ArtBin Hook & Needle Nook. The Hook & Needle Nook has 2 dividers separating the space into 3 compartments.
I prefer the Solutions XL for storing circular knitting needles and Tunisian crochet hooks with long, flexible cords; I prefer the Hook & Needle Nook for storing my straight knitting needles, my double-pointed knitting needles and my traditional crochet hooks.
The lid of the box has three hinges and two latches.
Best Uses for This Organizer
Here are a few suggestions for tools you might want to store in the Solutions XL Box:
- Circular knitting needles (I recommend using plastic baggies and / or rubber bands to keep them tidy inside the box.)
- Circular Tunisian crochet hooks
- Pairs of knitting needles measuring less than about 12 1/4 inches long
- Sets of double-pointed knitting needles
- Cable needles
- Traditional crochet hooks made of aluminum, bamboo or plastic
- Steel crochet hooks
- Ergonomic crochet hooks like Clover Soft Touch
- Straight Tunisian crochet hooks measuring less than about 12 1/4 inches long
- Double-ended crochet hooks
- Locker hooking tools
- Easyloop tool for Fauxchet
- Hairpin lace looms, although mine have to be taken apart before they fit in here.
Things I Like Best About This Organizer
- This organizer will adapt with you as your craft interests and organizational needs change. It can organize just about any type of craft supplies you might be working with this week. If you’re knitting this week, use it to organize your knitting needles. If you’re trying out painting next week, you’ll be able to use it for storing paintbrushes and palette knives. Then if you’re on to a different craft a few months later, you’ll be able to re-purpose the same organizer to hold a different set of supplies that you’ll be using.
- This organizer is affordable, and it’s a great value for the money.
- I appreciate the translucent box which allows me to see inside without having to open it. That saves time when I’m looking for a tool I want to find.
- It’s efficient. This box fits a surprising number of tools or other craft supplies inside, but it doesn’t take up much space in my stash.
- This box fits inside the ArtBin Yarn Drum, another craft organizer that I own as well; so I can put the box inside the Yarn Drum and easily take the entire toolbox with me at times when I’m not sure which tool I’ll want to use that day.
- The Solutions XL is reasonably toddler-resistant, which makes it a good safeguard against danger when you’re storing things like scissors and needles that little fingers should not be able to get a hold of. However, additional precautions may be necessary depending how smart your toddler is — and of course it’s worth remembering that toddlers do get smarter and develop more motor skills every day. So if you have anything ultra-dangerous in your XL, it’s a good idea to add a few additional safeguards — like keeping it out of reach. Since mine is holding all kinds of sharp pointy objects, I’m storing it inside my Yarn Drum on a top shelf in the closet.
This Organizer Is Inappropriate for…
Would I Buy More of These Organizers?
YES! With all the crafts I enjoy, I’d easily find uses for at least half a dozen of these organizers.
Would I Recommend These Organizers to Friends?
YES! Definitely. I highly recommend the Solutions XL craft organizers to other crafters. If you’re wondering how to organize your knitting needles and crochet hooks, this is one solution I’d definitely recommend considering — especially if you have some circular needles in your stash.
Where to Buy the ArtBin Solutions XL Craft Organizer:
More Useful ArtBin Craft Organizers You’ll Want to Know About:
- ArtBin Hook and Needle Nook for Knitting and Crochet — Tired of losing your knitting needles or crochet hooks? The Hook & Needle Nook offers you a convenient solution to that problem; use it as your go-to spot for storing all your hooks, needles and other needlework tools measuring less than 12 inches long.
- ArtBin Yarn Drum, Item#: 6934SA — If you’d like to take your yarn, crochet hooks and / or knitting needles on the go with you when you head out the door, the Yarn Drum will keep you looking stylish and organized while you’re in transit. If you craft at home, the Yarn Drum makes a fantastic project organizer and protective barrier against hazards like dog hair and kittycat claws.
- ArtBin Solutions Storage Cabinet, Item#: 6994AB — If you do bead crochet, bead knitting, wire crochet or wire knitting, this is an outstanding organizer for keeping track of your beads, findings, tools, and wire. It also works well for organizing embroidery floss and other sorts of craft supplies
- ArtBin Super Satchel 1-Compartment, Item#: 6955AB — This is a fantastic multi-purpose craft organizer that’ll help you organize just about any type of art or craft supply you might need to find a place for.
- ArtBin Thread Storage Tray, Item#: 6820AG — Organize your sewing thread intuitively in this heavy-duty thread storage tray. You can wall mount this piece if you don’t have a handy table, counter or shelf to put it on, or you can tuck it inside a craft organizer if that would better suit your needs.
- ArtBin Mini Sidekick, Item#: 6815AG — This versatile hard plastic caddy is ideal for storing a variety of different craft supplies.
Knitting and Crochet:
- Learn to Crochet
- Crochet Stitches
- Crochet Tutorials
- Crochet Techniques
- Crochet Granny Square Patterns
- Crochet Books
- Best Crochet Stitch Dictionaries
- Best Crochet Books for Beginners
- Christmas Crochet and Knitting Patterns
- Knitting Techniques
- Knitting Supplies
- Knitting Books
More Crafts, Hobbies, DIY Projects and Supplies:
- Best Christmas Craft Books
- How to Make a Basket: DIY Basket Making Ideas and Patterns
- Make & Give Home Soap Making Book: 13 Step-By-Step Recipes + Giftwrap Ideas
- Review of Candle Making Basics, an Excellent Craft Book for Beginners
- Homesteader’s Herbal Companion: Herbs for DIY Projects, Health, Beauty, Cooking and More
- Craft Supplies
- Flower Loom Patterns, Instructions, Ideas and Supplies
- Christmas Card Making
- More Card Making Ideas
- Best Christmas Gifts for Jewelry Makers
- Wire for Crafts
- Sewing Appliques
- Button Craft Projects and IDeas
- Home Decor Crafts
Posted By: Amy Solovay
This page was last updated on 8-11-2021.