Did you know that you can crochet plastic bags as a cheap yarn alternative? Perhaps you’re already well aware of this, and you’re looking for patterns, tutorials, instructions and ideas on how to crochet plastic bags to make fantastic projects such as pouches, scrubbies and other items. If so, read on for some fantastic ideas, tutorials and patterns for crocheting with plastic bags.
Free Plarn Instructions and Tutorials
There are bunches of different ways you could approach the task of making “plarn” to crochet with. One of the most popular methods is the spiral cutting method. Simply take a plastic grocery bag, cut off the handles and cut out the seam at the bottom, and then cut the rest it into one long, continuous spiral piece.
How to Make Plarn Using Plastic Produce Bags — I’ve posted a step-by-step photo tutorial for a lesser-known method of making plarn. This version allows you to make good use of all those zillions of plastic produce bags you take home from the farmer’s market or grocery store. After you use up all the tomatoes, apples and cucumbers you brought home, you can cut up those produce bags and make useful things with them instead of tossing them in the trash.
Free Plarn Patterns and Project Ideas
Simple Plarn Pouch — As far as plarn craft projects go, this pouch is a no-brainer of an easy one; if you’ve never worked with plarn before, it’s a great starter pattern. It’ll give you a chance to get familiar with plarn before you tackle a larger project like a purse, tote bag or yoga mat. it’s also a good pattern to try if you don’t have large numbers of plastic bags on hand, but you still want to do something cool with them.
Crochet Plarn Scrubbie: Free Crochet Pattern — Here’s a quick and useful crochet project you can make using cut-up plastic grocery bags and produce bags. It’s a dish scrubber you can use for washing your dishes at times when you’re hand washing rather than using a dish washer. Instead of spending your hard-earned cash on scrubbers and sponges, you can upcycle some free materials that would probably just go to waste anyway.
That’s our short but sweet roundup of fantastic projects for crocheting with plastic bags. We hope you’ll find these patterns useful. Happy crafting!
More Frugal and Earth-Friendly Crochet Ideas
- How to Save Money on Knitting and Crochet
- Fabric Crochet: Make Fabulous Projects Using Old, Worn-Out Clothing or Sheets
- How to Crochet Without Yarn
- Click Here to Learn How to Crochet; This Link Takes You to a Total Beginner’s Guide to Crochet.
- Click here to find crochet stitch tutorials and instructions.
- Click here to learn more crochet techniques.
- Click HERE to Find Fabulous Yarn for Crochet and Knitting
- Click here to learn about crochet hooks.
- Click here to find my favorite crochet project bag.
- Click here to get updated on the latest craft supplies.
- Click here to learn about knitting.
- Click here to find our beginner’s guide to knitting needles.
- Click here to find outstanding craft project ideas.
Posted By: Amy Solovay
Page last updated on 6-27-2021. Thanks for visiting!