Touchably Textured Baby Afghans Crochet Pattern Book by Barbara English
Touchably Textured Baby Afghans: 5 Crochet Designs
Author: Barbara English
Publisher: Leisure Arts
Copyright Date: 2009
ISBN 13: 978-1-60140-873-0
ISBN 10: 1-60140-873-0
Format: This book was originally published as a softcover book with staple binding. You can now find it available as a downloadable digital PDF ebook.
Number of Pages: 17 including the inside back cover
Cover Price: $6.95 US dollars
This book delivers five different textured baby afghan patterns. All of these patterns are easy to crochet.
The Baby Blanket Crochet Patterns You’ll Find in This Book:
Rainbow Puffs Baby Afghan:
There’s a picture of this baby blanket on the front cover of the book. You can crochet it using cluster stitches and puff stitches. Occasional color changes also help to keep things interesting; this pattern features stripes of a contrasting variegated yarn. The variegated yarn is also used to create the edging. The photography sample was crocheted in “girly” colors, but with a color change, I think the overall design could work for either baby girls or baby boys.
This baby afghan measures 35 inches by 49 inches when complete.
Summer Fresh Baby Afghan:
Out of all the baby blanket patterns in the book, this one is my favorite. It’s a classic pattern that looks like it would be an interesting project. Rich texture gives the pattern visual interest. It’s a solid color design, so if you don’t want to hassle with color changes, this is a good pattern to look at. The photography sample was crocheted in a peach colorway of Caron Simply Soft yarn, which is suitable for a baby girl; a quick color change could make this design boy-friendly.
This baby afghan measures 35 inches by 46 inches when complete.
Precious Treasure Baby Afghan:
This is a beautiful baby afghan. The design is a bit “girlier” than the others featured in the book, due to a lacy edging topped with pretty picot stitches. This design makes interesting use of a loop stitch. The afghan also features a diamond pattern in what appears to be surface crochet slip stitches on the right side of the fabric. The author describes this technique as “chaining up,” a term I am unfamiliar with, but from reading the instructions I’m guessing it’s what I refer to as surface crochet. At any rate, I have concerns that the instructions in this pattern might not be clear to newer crocheters, although the pattern is marked as “easy”.
This baby afghan measures 33.5 inches by 41.5 inches when complete.
Kissed by Sunshine Baby Afghan:
This is another textured afghan crocheted using cluster stitches. There are two contrasting colors used to create the design. This is a unisex pattern which works well for either baby boys or baby girls.
This baby afghan measures 33 inches by 42.5 inches when complete.
Cloud Soft Comfort Baby Afghan:
Here’s another classic baby afghan design that’s great for babies of either gender. The pattern utilizes treble crochet stitches, cluster stitches, cross stitch and double cross stitch for loads of interesting texture. The sample baby afghan is worked in a pastel variegated yarn, but would be nice in solid-colored yarns too.
This baby afghan measures 38 inches by 43 inches when complete.
Basic Crochet Instructions Included in This Book:
The crochet instructions in this book cover less than three pages, and are not comprehensive. If you don’t already know how to crochet, this book will not teach you everything you need to know; in that case, check out our suggestions for the best crochet books for beginners. You can also feel free to utilize the free resources available on our other web site for learning how to crochet. The general instructions cover things like the crochet abbreviations used in the book, gauge, crochet hook sizes, joining with single crochet, half double crochet, or double crochet, plus yarn information etc.
This is a lovely crochet pattern book. I’m updating this book review on 6-20-2021, and as of today, a digital download of this book is available from the publisher’s website for only $5.99.That is an excellent value for these beautiful patterns.
Apparently, the softcover copy of the book is now out of print and hard to find. There are people selling copies online for ridiculously inflated prices when you consider you can get the digital copy for $5.99. Nevertheless, if you can find someone selling a copy for under $15 or so, you might want to grab it, assuming you prefer working from actual, physical books and you like the patterns presented in the book. You can take a look at pics of the patterns at the publisher’s website.
Where to Buy Touchably Textured Baby Afghans by Barbara English:
- Click here to shop for this book at the Leisure Arts website.
- Click here to shop for this book at Amazon.
- Crochet 24 Hour Baby Afghans Book
- Tunisian Crochet for Baby Book
- Super Cute Crochet for Little Feet: Patterns for Crocheting Baby Booties, Sandals and Shoes
- Tunisian Crochet Baby Blankets Book
- Ice Cream Baby Afghans — Lovely Baby Blanket Knitting Patterns
- DIY Afghans Crochet Pattern Book Plus CD Rom Design Software Bundle
- Fair Isle to Crochet Book: This Book Has Baby Afghans Plus Other Afghan Patterns
- Click here to find the best books on crochet flowers
- Click here to find the best crochet books for beginners
- Click here to find the best crochet baby pattern books
- Click Here to Learn How to Crochet; This Link Takes You to a Total Beginner’s Guide to Crochet.
- Click here to find crochet stitch tutorials and instructions.
- Click here to learn more crochet techniques.
- Click HERE to Find Fabulous Yarn for Crochet and Knitting
- Click here to learn about crochet hooks.
- Click here to find my favorite crochet project bag.
- Click here to get updated on the latest craft supplies.
- Click here to learn about knitting.
- Click here to find our beginner’s guide to knitting needles.
- Click here to find outstanding craft project ideas.
Posted By: Amy Solovay
Page last updated on 6-20-2021. Thanks for visiting!