Free Puff Stitch Crochet Instructions
Want to learn how to crochet a puff stitch? If so, you’ve found a great place to get educated; keep reading for free puff stitch instructions, plus links to bunches of free puff stitch crochet patterns you can use for practicing what you’ve learned.
Puff Stitch With 3 Half Double Crochet Stitches:
This version of the puff stitch is comprised of 3 modified half double crochet sts. Here’s how to crochet the stitch:
- Begin as you usually would when working an ordinary half double crochet stitch: wrap the yarn over your crochet hook.
- Insert your hook into the next stitch to be worked.
- Grab the yarn with your crochet hook and pull it through.
- DO NOT complete the half double crochet stitch.
- Instead, wrap the yarn over your crochet hook again.
- Insert the hook into the same stitch as before.
- Grab the yarn and pull it through.
Repeat all of those steps again until you have 3 unfinished half-double crochet stitches in progress. There will be 7 loops on your hook all together.
Here’s a picture of how it looks at this point:
To close the puff stitch, wrap the yarn over your hook, grab it and carefully pull it through all the loops on your hook.
These instructions result in a puff stitch that isn’t really all that puffy. If you want your puffs to really puff up, you can make them fatter by adding more modified half double crochet stitches in each group. I think a grouping of 4 half doubles is ideal for many purposes. Groupings of 5 are really pretty and visually appealing, but they also take a lot of time to do, and you can burn through a lot of yarn when you add in that much dimension.
Ready to try crocheting the puff stitch? You can try practicing with any of the following patterns:
Free Crochet Puff Stitch Patterns
- Crochet Puff Stitch Christmas Tree Square — Plus Pillow and Blanket Instructions
More Crochet Stitches
- Get informed about which are the best crochet stitch dictionaries
- Find more crochet stitch tutorials HERE.
- Click Here to Learn How to Crochet; This Link Takes You to a Total Beginner’s Guide to Crochet.
- Click here to learn more crochet techniques.
- Click HERE to Find Fabulous Yarn for Crochet and Knitting
- Click here to learn about crochet hooks.
- Click here to find my favorite crochet project bag.
- Click here to get updated on the latest craft supplies.
- Click here to learn about knitting.
- Click here to find our beginner’s guide to knitting needles.
- Click here to find outstanding craft project ideas.
Posted By: Amy Solovay
Page last updated on 6-21-2021. Thanks for visiting!