There are zillions of different crochet shell stitch edging patterns available. There are a couple of things that differentiate this one from all the others:
- You use two colors to crochet this edging. The colors appear to alternate, but you only need to work with one color per row — it’s totally easy!
- You use treble crochet stitches to create your shells, which makes for a slightly taller edging than some of the double crochet shell stitch edgings you see around. The pattern also integrates single crochet and surface crochet slip stitches for a unique effect featuring contrasts in height and color.
Crochet Skill Level: Easy
- ch = chain
- ea = each
- rep = repeat
- sc = single crochet
- sl st = slip stitch
- tr = treble crochet
- st = stitch
You will need two different colors of yarn or thread — color A and color B. It’s ideal if you choose colors that contrast with each other and also with the project you are adding the edging to. The colors should also work well together and be harmonious with each other.
This edging is a multiple of 14 + 1 sts.
Row or Round 1: Begin using color A. [Work 1 sc st in ea of the next 9 sts. Skip next 2 sts, 7 tr in next st, skip next 2 sts.] Rep the sequence in brackets all the way across the row. sc in last st in row. If you are working a project with corners, when you get to a corner, ch 2 to turn the corner and then keep working in pattern. At the end of the row / round, change colors to color B.
Row or Round 2: [Work 1 sc in ea of the next 2 sts. Skip next 2 sts, 7 tr in next st, skip next 2 sts, sc in next st. Then work 1 surface crochet sl st into ea of the next 7 sts in the project below row 1.] Rep the sequence in brackets all the way across.
When you get to a corner, you should be able to just rotate the work and keep going. If you have to, you could always sneak an extra slip stitch in there, but I didn’t find that necessary when working my project sample.
- Easy, Lacy Crochet Shell Stitch Edging — Free Pattern
- Simple Single Crochet Blanket Border — Free Pattern
- Easy Picot Stitch Edging — Free Crochet Pattern
- Lacy Treble Crochet Shell Stitch Dishcloth — Free Pattern
- Shell Stitch Crochet Baby Blanket — Free Pattern
- Delicate Crochet
- Crocheted Beanies and Slouchy Hats
- Unexpected Afghans
- Best Crochet Edging Pattern Books
- Best Crochet Stitch Dictionaries
- Best Crochet Baby Pattern Books
- Best Crochet Blanket Pattern Books
- Find the Best Yarn for Crochet and Knitting
- How to Organize Yarn
- All About Crochet Hooks
- All About Knitting Needles